Posted by: anonymous | 2008/08/19

Head Lice

Can somebody please help us. My daughter (3.5 yrs old) came home from creche with head lice. Needless to say, my son (5), my partner and myself as well as my teenage son got it. So we got the Head Lice Treatment from the pharmacy and managed to get rid of the lice, however, the nits were still there.
So we then purchased the Nit Remover and used the comb to comb it out but, to date, almost 2 months down the line - we all still have it. My partner and two sons can shave their hair but I do not want to cut mine or my daughter' s hair and we are scratching like mad - it hasn' t helped even though we have used it so many times. I have even developed sores on my head and I am now frustrated.
Does anybody know of a good remedy (perhaps old remedy) that we can use to get rid of this because we cannot keep buying this expensive treatment when it' s not working.

Dear Anonymous
Try rinsing the hair with weak vinegar solution after washing. Paraspray kills nits and lice. You must wash all bedding, and anything that had contact with her hair with warm water and iron it if possible. You can spray paraspray on furniture etc that may harbour lice.

Posted by: Lizelle | 2009/04/03

Good day, My daughter has a few nits in her hair. I washed her hair with gambex last night and afterwards with Tea Tree Oil Shampoo. Then I comb her hair with the fine comb and also took out the nits with my fingers. May I spray some paraspray on her hair tonight - in other words so quickly after I have washed her hair with gambex. The Gambex shampoo may only be used once a week. Please let me know. Thanks

Reply to Lizelle
Posted by: Nercia | 2009/01/06

How to get rid off head lice in thick hear. Lice shampoo etc. not helping.

Reply to Nercia
Posted by: ANONYMOUS | 2008/08/26

Thank you everybody for your tips and help.
I couldn' t afford more lice treatment so I tried it with my hair first. Washed my hair with lots of shampoo and then left on for a while. I then combed it with the plastic comb and it appeared less itchy - still have those stores although they are getting better.
I am now going to wash my hair every 2 days with the shampoo and am starting with my daughter.
As for the males in my family - alas, I will cut their hair no.1

Posted by: Dr Bets | 2008/08/20

Be careful not to use any animal shampoos with pesticides (like Pulvex) in it - it gets absorbed through the skin and can cause severe poisoning in humans!!

Reply to Dr Bets
Posted by: Kelly | 2008/08/20

I work with kids and get lice about once a month. After washing my hair (with normal shampoo) I put on A LOT of conditionar and leave it for a while. I then comb it out with those lice combs. It' s a lot better for your hair, and really works. Sometimes you have to do it a second time, but its the only thing that works. Those little mutants don' t fall for the poisons anymore. The conditionar makes your hair to slippery and they can' t hold on that well. Good luck, from someone who knows!!!!!

Reply to Kelly
Posted by: mags | 2008/08/19

I used a whole bottle of mayonaise on my granddaughter' s head at night and covered it with a plastic bag and then wrapped a towel around her head and let her sleep with it.I did it 3 times that week and so far she has been clean for 1year.

Reply to mags
Posted by: MK | 2008/08/19

I used a lice shampoo called Quellada on my daughter, only used it once and everything was gone. Also, use a metal lice comb and not the plastic one, since the metal one removes the nits more effectively.

Reply to MK
Posted by: CS | 2008/08/19

I was there and understand your frustration. Remeber to wash all bedding and towels too. If you have a tubledryer put everything in there. All this must be ironed too - it kills the nits. A strong water vinigar solution helps. Strongs!!

Reply to CS
Posted by: xx | 2008/08/19

I heard that dogshampoo also helps.

Reply to xx
Posted by: v | 2008/08/19

try vinegar

Reply to v