Question
Posted by: Claire | 2007/02/27

Head lice

I'm battling to clear head lice from my whole family. As soon as I get it cleared up my daughter (6) goes back to school and we start all over again. My husband and I are both infected now and I'm in my 32nd week of pregnancy. PLEASE HELP ME!

Dear Claire
I found that washing with Lice shampoo - ( keep it on the head for 15 minutes) every 7 days, rinse with vinegar water, comb out with fine comb, dry the hair with hot hairdryer, spray lightly with Paraspray does help prevent re-infection. You have to clean all combs, brushes, pillows , hats and scarves in hot water with handy andy in it.
I like the Gamma Benzine Hexachloride containing shampoos but the Permithrin containing shampoo may be more safe in pregnancy.
Also read http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/headlice.html
Ask her to tell you immediately if her head itches, usually that is the sign of live lice on the scalp! Hope this helps