Question
Posted by: Wendy | 2004/01/29

Head Injury

Hi, my boyfriend has a bad head injury about 2 years ago. He is getting much better every day and if you don't know him you can't actually tell that there is anything wrong. He is on medication - Ciprabil and Deprovil (that's how you say it - I am sure not how you spell it). I know that the one is "Happy Pils" (for depression) and the other one is "brain food". The problem however is with his sexual performance. He went through a phase when he didn't have a problem getting excited, but had a problem keeping it or otherwise he had a problem ejaculating. This went on for a few months but then it just seemed to go away and everything was perfect again. The last six months it seems to be back - only getting much worse. He can't keep an erection for longer than about 10-15min at a time and he struggles to get an erection. He doesn't even have a "morning glory" anymore. This is making him very depressed and it is beginning to affect our relationship a bit. I am being understanding (I know it is not a new problem) but he is now beginning to pull away from me and reject any advances I make. Could it be a side effect of the medication he is on? Please help us as we are at a bit of a loss of what to do.

Wendy, it might be due to the Cipramil®, but I can’t say for sure. You can ask his doctor to change him to a different antidepressant like Efexor® and see what happens. If that doesn’t improve the situation, he will have to go back to the neurologist. Good luck.
PS, I’m sorry I took so long to answer your question, but all the answers posted in reply to questions posted on the 29th somehow got lost in Cyberspace. Here it is again.