Question
Posted by: shades | 2007/03/02

Head aches leading to vertigo episode

I suffer from cronic headaches. I'm currently on chronic medication for hypertention (Inderal LA 80 mg, Pharmapress 40 mg, Urirex and Purblokka 20 mg) and also use Sedabarb (X2), as I get vertigo episodes. The symptoms start with severe headache, covering the top of head. There then seems to be quick moments of blackouts. Then I experience a sudden spinning feeling, which goes with experiencing intense heat, lots of sweating and nauzia. I would start hyperventilating during the episode. The episodes usually only last a few seconds. I would end with me throwing up and I would then start feeling better. My eyes would be very sensitive to light afterwards and I would feel exhausted and have swelling above the eyes (closer to nose area). My hypertention is under control, according to the MP and I don't have diabetes. My EKG is normal, although it indicated that my eyes are very light sensitive. What might be the course of these episodes?

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Shades,

All the symptoms you describe the vertigo, the headache, heat, nausea, vomiting, and light sensitivity occur with severe headaches such as migraine. The only way to deal effectively with the problem is to diagnose and treat the underlying cause/s.

To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

1
Posted by: Shades | 2007/03/02

Sorry! I actually meant EEG, not EKG.

Reply to Shades