Question
Posted by: Lee | 2003/12/03

HCG levels and growth of baby

Dear Doc

Must there be a specific level of HCG in your blood as your prenancy progresses? I.e if I am 5 weeks pregnant, how many thousands should the HCG count be, or does it vary from woman to woman? My count was 527 when 3 weeks pregnant, would like to get my blood tested to see if there was some growth and progress in the meantime, as I only see my gynae in 2 weeks' time and I CAN'T stand the wait!!

I have very little simptoms, and does not feel pregnant at all, that makes me extra curious/worried, what is going on inside of me and is baby growing??

HCG is not a reliable way to measure growth of the fetus as the variations are too big. A scan is the way to assess growth. However, like weighing yourself every day, it cannot be done too frequently as you will not get an accurate idea of the growth.

3
Posted by: Maccie | 2003/12/03

Hallo Lee

I also had a miscarriage in October this year, and suspect that I a pregnant again now. It was my first pregnancy I worried about everything! I know it is very difficult, but I promised myself that I am noy going to woory so much this time, because my baby is in God's hands. It is not easy to do, but I am much more relaxed!

Reply to Maccie
Posted by: Lee | 2003/12/03

Thanks Kippie

You know I had a miscarriage in August, and is so worried that I am going to loose this one as well. I actually WANT to be sick so I know something is happening inside!
Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

Keep in touch

Reply to Lee
Posted by: Kippie | 2003/12/03

Lee
There are websites where they provide the count, but if I'm not mistaken, it is also provided on some pregnancy tests.

To put your mind at ease, I am now 13 weeks and also did not feel pregnant seeing that I was nauseas for maybe a full 5 hours in totality and nothing else, apart from mild period like cramps. I'm sure your baby is 100% - stop worrying!!!! :-)

Reply to Kippie