Our expert says:
1. using sanitary towels are not necessarily better in terms of thrush aggravation as long as you change your tampons every 6 hours
2. It is better to take the probiotics that have 3 or more strains and you need to take it 3 times a day - it does help
3. Cranberries will help to prevent urine tract infections but not really prevent candida
4. Causes of constant candida infections could be low immunity ( after chemotherapy, low white cell count, HIV etc), stress, re-infecting yourself by wiping the wrong way (back to front instead of front to back - as candida is a normal "commensal" organism of the bowel - meaning it can co -exist in peace with us there!)
5. Irregular bleeding can be caused by ovarian cysts, irregular ovulation, interference of medication or herbal treatments with the hormone production of the body, thyroid problems, depression, anxiety
6. Yasmin will stabilize your hormone levels so may improve the mood swings. Menopause is when you stop menstruating but women often battle with what we call pre- or peri-menopausal symptoms: Hot flashes, night sweats, coldness, irregular periods, sleep disorders, mood changes, heart palpitations, dry skin and hair loss, urine leaking, vaginal dryness
7. The only reason why the gynes ask about why you did not have kids is because they need to know if you tried and couldn't fall pregnant (infertility would indicate maybe infections or hormone shortages or previous tube pregnancy) and also leads to the question "did you ever use medication to stimulate ovulation" that helps them identify diseases like Polycystic ovarian syndrome. It is not because they criticize you for not wanting any!
8. Cymbalta may not be the ideal medication to use if you feel irritable, you may feel better on a calming type of antidepressant like Trepilene. Cymbalta can cause anxiety, agitation, panic attacks, hostility or aggressiveness, restlessness or inability to sit still. (So tell your mom and housemate and the dog - its not you, it is the medication causing the grumpiness :-) Get yourself some Biral over the counter - you can take 2 tablets 3 times a day if you feel anxious and irritable to calm you down. You can take Biral together with the Cymbalta.
9. You don't have to follow an anti-Candida diet but try to avoid foods containing yeast (wine, mushrooms, bread) Eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables
10. It may help to get Betadine douche if you are not allergic to iodene and to use this twice a day for a week to get rid of the current infection and any other possible bacteria that may be causing symptoms - you may need a prescription from your GP
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal
advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.