Posted by: gabby | 2004/01/28

Having triplets - scared :-(

Hi doc,

I am expecting triplets and am 26 weeks. I had a stitch put in my cervix at the beginning of my pregnancy. My last scan was scary - the doctor said that the stitch is the only thing holding my babies in and has confined me to bed rest for the remainder of my pregnancy.

A few questions:
1. I am supposed to be flying to Durban this week (to have my babies there in), is it dangerous to fly at this stage or should I rather stay put?
2. From how many weeks can the babies survive if they were born early?
3. Do you think the stitch will hold if I take it easy from now on?

I am so stressed and worried that I'm going to lose my babies or my water will break. Please give me your advice.


Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageGynaeDoc

I would suggest that you do not risk the flight to Durban.
The gestation at which babies can survive varies depending on the facilities available, but generally 28 weeks is taken to be the average time when there is a reasonable chance of survival.
You haven't told me the details as to why you have been told that to have strict bedrest. Has the cervix started to dilate or get thinner, or is the stitch not holding? It would be a guessing game to try to predict what will happen but the only thing you can do is to follow your doctor's advice and call him/her immediately if there is any pain, bleeding.etc.

Best wishes

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Kippie | 2004/01/29

Hi Gabby
Geez, triplets!!! How wonderful and a handful!
I would also say do not go anywhere especially if the doc is worried about your condition. Rather follow his instructions and get into bed.
I believe a baby could survive from week 26 onwards but we need doc to confirm this. In your case the babies will be smaller than singletons.

Good luck and let us know what is happening to you - do you know the sexes of these little ones - it is so amazing!

Take care

Reply to Kippie
Posted by: Norma | 2004/01/29


Well, I'm not doc, but I think you should just stay where you are, don't fly anywhere, and stay in bed, this is scarry......
Have your doc no close by and if I were you I would not move a finger....

Good luck,

Reply to Norma

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.