Question
Posted by: Nigel Brown | 2005/11/23

Having to do a speech at a funeral .

Hi Doc,

Not to sure who to ask , I need to do a speech at a funeral , under normal circumstances I have no problem in getting by with a speech to people my problem is me breaking down into tears and unable to speek.

My question is , is there medication I could take that will prevent this breaking down but not make me drowsie.

I agree with Tango that crying isn't any disaster at a funeral --- it's a sign of respect. And most of the things you might take to feel calmer could easily, like alcohol, make you MORE emotional and less able to control it.

4
Posted by: Rescue | 2005/11/23

I think that "Rescue" which is a herbal product will be helpfull for you. You can get it at any pharmacy. It won't physically stop you from crying but will help you feel less anxious/nervous about giving the speech. As it has a calming effect you may beable to control the crying easier.

I don't however think that there is anything wrong with getting emotional whilst doing your speech.
At my uncle's funeral, the minister at one stage had tears streaming down his face & had to stop for a brief moment before he could carry on. There is nothing wrong with that. It actually left me feeling better to know that he cares and has compassion.

I'm sorry about your loss and send my deepest sympathies.

Reply to Rescue
Posted by: ASP | 2005/11/23

Yeah, why try and conceal your true feelings? It's quite normal for someone to cry at a funeral.

Are you worried about not being able to complete your speech?

Reply to ASP
Posted by: lee | 2005/11/23

I agree with tango.. nothing wrong with someone breaking down and crying at a funeral while doing a speech. I think there are very few people who would be able to do it without crying.

Reply to lee
Posted by: Tango | 2005/11/23

There are some herbal products to use like Rescue remedy. But why be concerned about breaking down? Its a funeral and you are obviously going to talk about someone whom you knew and liked / loved at lot. I think its ok to cry. It shows you are human and real! But perhaps not everyone will share my sentiments!

Reply to Tango