Question
Posted by: Unie | 2003/01/23

Have severe cas of gout.What diet and medication?

I am suffering from severe gout. Please advise me on a good diet as well as medication.

Unie, this is from an article I wrote a while ago. If you’re interested in the complete article, please mail me at netdoc@mweb.co.za. Good luck.
“The main thing is not to over indulge in rich foods (they contain purine which the body uses to make uric acid), and beer and wine. It is always a good idea not to be overweight. Drinking plenty of water will help to flush the uric acid out of the bloodstream via the kidneys. It will also prevent you from getting uric acid kidney stones. Some medicines like diuretics may also precipitate gout.
Forbidden food (food not fruit): these contain very large amounts of purine.
Anchovies, Bovril, liver, kidney, pâté, meat extracts and thick gravies.
Foods to avoid: (do not have more than one of these once a week).
Red meat, pork, Shellfish, trout, duck and venison.
Foods best eaten in moderation: (no more than one of these four times a week).
Chicken, ham, mutton, haddock, herring, oysters, salmon, shad, tuna, asparagus, cauliflower, kidney beans, butter bean, mushrooms, spinach, rhubarb, strawberries, whole grain cereals and bread.
The “hey, go bananas, have as much as you like” type foods.
Dairy products, veggies not mentioned above, ditto for the cereals and bread, fruit, eggs, sugar, nuts and caviar (just when you thought you couldn’t have anything nice).”

1
Posted by: Dee-Jean | 2003/01/24

please help, my duaghter of 32 has just been told she has gout & has been told to stay away from acidic foods. please can you tell me what foods contain acicidity ?
I appreciate your help, many thanks Dee-Jean

Reply to Dee-Jean