Question
Posted by: MMM | 2007/08/01

have a bit of a problem, I recently gav

Hi, I have a bit of a problem, I recently gave birth to my second child( 6weeks ago) and I have been really depressed ever since then, I have never thought of hurting my kids-never but I am driving my amazing husband insane! The way I am now is the reason why husbands cheat on their wives or even leave them! I know I am a good person but the problem is the depression is in my family-in my blood! We have some sort of chemical imbalance-(according to our GP’s) I really don’t know what to do, I don’t have money to go see our Psychologist and our medical aid won’t cover for another 9 months! I really don’t want to lose my husband- he is unbelievable and he will take my kids with him and that will make me crazy, my kids mean everything to me!

Post-Natal Depression is a common and serious problem. Fortunately it responds really well to treatment. It occurs in many women with no family history, and far more often in women in whose family depression has occurred. Don't se a psychologist in the first place, you need to see a psychiatrist as medication will probably need to be the first line of work. It is disgraceful if any Medical aid won't provide for such an obvious emergency. Even one session with a shrink could provide an assessment and a recommendation for treatment medication which the GP can then prescribe and monitor.

1
Posted by: Jacqui | 2007/08/01

Sounds like a case of post natal depression - which also happened to Brooke Shields. Why not try one of these FAMSA or Life Line support groups?

Reply to Jacqui