Posted by: Karen | 2008/10/27

Have 15Kg to lose

Had 2 boys, normal birth and no weight problems. When they were 13 and I was 40 had twins (caesarian). Since then it looks like maybe a triplet was left behind. I am not big on exercise and have now resorted to Reductil (BMI is just on 30). Been on it for 2 weeks now and 1Kg down only !! Have made major changes to my diet. Please help as I really do not know what more to do other than exercise !! I am 1.77m tall and weigh 88 Kg. Thanks a lot = Karen xx

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Karen
There are many factors that could be contributing to your inability to lose weight. For example hormonal changes caused by your last pregnancy (ask your dr to check your thyroid, insulin and female hormones) or depression (the latter can cause pronounced weight gain or loss depending on the individual). If the latter is a possibility then please consult a psychiatrist or a clinical psychologist so that you can obtain the correct treatment. If you have insulin resistance or polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) then please consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Now despite the fact that you don't like doing exercise, please keep in mind that regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so start doing an aerobic exercise like going for a briaks walk or joining Walk for Life.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.