Question
Posted by: ALLY | 2003/03/17

HATE MY JOB

Please help. I am in a job where my boss throws tantrums for anything that goes wrong. For example the fax machine was due for a service, which he knew, and after ignoring the fact the fax broke down and with that he punched it and threw it down. He has the worst temper I hav eever seen, I've only been working for him for about a month and a half and am truly scared of him. My book keeper has told me to aproach him but I am too scared to say anything or do any type fo human error because it may set him off.

I am currently looking for a new job because I can't cope with the tension headaches I have at the start of every day, including week ends. Do you think I am doing the right thing?

Dear Ally,
Looking for a new job may be a god idea, from the sound of things. What a childish and foolish git he sounds like ! It is sad that people often get advanced into managerial positions without actually having any mnagerial skills, and without even any need to grow up and behave like an adult.
In the meantime, I suppose, tact and caution may keep things quieter ; and realizing that his temper tantrums are no more actually about you, than would be the similar tantrum of a three-year-old. Don't take it personally. Just do your job accurately, and dont let his thunder storms cause you grief.

1
Posted by: joey | 2003/03/26

Hi Cybershrink. I am the only woman in the office with 4 other men. I think he has a very low self esteem, but that doesn't help me at all. The worst is, he likes me. Why can't he be nice. I don't have any work to do, but the boss prefers it if we "look" busy. How can you be busy if you don't have any work to do ? This has been going on since I've returned from holiday on the 6 January. I feel frustrated every morning when I wake up. What can I do ? Thank you

Reply to joey