Question
Posted by: WORRIED | 2004/02/25

HARDNESS??

Doc

Hello there

Firstly, what do you call the condition when the scar tissue goes hard in the breast after operation and constricts? (capuscular something?)

Well, I visited my surgeon this morning and he confirmed that I have "that" in my left breast, but he reckons it is slight.He says it is unfortunate but something I will have to live with aswell as the discomfort.Since my operation 2 months ago, my left breast has always been slightly harderthan that of my right one. I always feel a pulling sensation in my left breast and it is a bit uncomfortable if I have to reach for something, or put up my arms.

Can I live with this? Does it get better? Can it get worse with time? What are the complications?What can one do to make it better Can I still exersise, run and spin?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Worried,

It is called 'capsular contracture'.

These questions are all you should ask your plastic surgeon, as he did the procedure. However, all plastic surgeons would recommend that you wait for up to six months before a final opinion can be given regarding the outcome of the procedure. It takes that long to settle down.

I would suggest that you ask your plastic surgeon to refer you to someone else for a second opinion at this stage.

What you are experiencing is not necessarily capsular contracture - it is early for that, and massage might well assist in resolving the issue. Please discuss this option with your plastic surgeon as well.

2
Posted by: WORRIED | 2004/02/26

TSO

I APPRECIATE THAT SO VERY MUCH!!!!! PLS LET ME KNOW!!!!!!! IT IS REALLY FREAKING ME OUT!!!!!!

Reply to WORRIED
Posted by: TSO | 2004/02/25

Hi worried

I have the same problem with my right breast. I have realised that by massaging it everyday its becoming a bit better & even that pulling painful sensation is disappearing slowly. I had the op two months ago myself. I'm seeing my surgeon on Friday so i will let you know.

Reply to TSO