Question
Posted by: Jade | 2007/12/03

Hard boiled eggs

I am 30 years old, 1.57m tall and weigh 63kgs. I would like to lose about 7kgs. I have recently joined the gym, and because of my unfit state and being an ex-smoker, I can only manage 30minutes of brisk walking on the treadmill, 3 times a week. I am trying to eat healthily, and it's going slowly, but I'm not giving up. What I would like to know is if hard boiled eggs are healthy for you, and if so, how many per day if you're trying to lose weight? At the moment I have 3 small ones for diiner everyday, or two large ones. Is this going to help in weight loss? Is it healthy?

Dear Jade
Your present BMI = 25,6 which is just in the overweight category. To reach an ideal BMI of 22 you would need to lose those 7 kg or even slightly more. Eggs, as such, are an excellent food being rich in high-quality protein, plenty of iron, zinc and trace elements. But eggs have a very high cholesterol content (in the yolk) and one egg can contain your fully daily allowance of 300 mg cholesterol. In general white South Africans tend to have problems with a high cholesterol intake, so the Heart Foundation has recommended that adults eat only 4 eggs per week. So for your own sake stop eating 2 eggs a day. Substitute low-fat foods such as tuna or cottage cheese of these eggs. If you need an example of a low-fat diet click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet'. Keep up the exercise - if you persevere you will find that you will get fitter as your body gets used to exercising again.
Keep up the good work

2
Posted by: Jade | 2007/12/04

Hi MK

I will try a low fat, low GI diet as well, as it seems to be working for you. Do you have an idea where I can get a copy of such a diet? I am in Bellville in Cape Town.

Jade

Reply to Jade
Posted by: MK | 2007/12/03

Hi Jade

Your data is so similar to mine,i'm 31,1.58m and 64kgs..i also have 8kgs to lose. Back to your eggs,i think you shouldn't eat more than 4 eggs per week because of cholesterol. I follow the low fat,low gi diet and seems to be working a bit for me...Are you in joburg?

Reply to MK