Question
Posted by: Cannoneer | 2004/11/19

Hangnails- What, How?

I have tiny skin tears close to my fingernails. I asked a mate and he said not to worry they are just hangnails and apparently they are very common- I should just cut them off with a nail-clipper. What are hangnails, what causes them, how would I get rid of them and how would I prevent them?
p.s. I do not think that I have a problem with a lack of calcium in my diet.

Cannoneer, a hangnail is when the thin layer of skin on the side of a nail peels away and dries out. It is usually caused by exposure to substances that dry out the skin (water, chemicals, etc.) and you can safely cut them off with a nail clipper. You should also use a moisturising hand cream and avoid things that might dry out your skin. Good luck.

1
Posted by: adel | 2004/11/22

Lately I have seen that 3/4 of each fingernail is white, at the part of the new growth. The other part of my nail, furthest from my growth. my nails are the normal colour.
Do I need vitamin- or mineral supplements, or can it be something more serious?

Reply to adel