Question
Posted by: Bry | 2004/10/13

Handsome old man

I have an old cat, at least 18 i think, who is blind and i suspect deaf. He is in reasonably good health although i'm sure he suffers from kidney disease. I have had him on Hills KD for sometime and he eats quite well - in small quantities.
Is there anything i can give him to make his life more comfortable, at times he seems a little miserable?
Regards...

Diet is one of the best ways of controlling the effects of chronic renal failure as seen in older cats. Certain types of medication (so-called new generation ACE-inhibitors) may make a difference in some patients, especially those with high blood pressure secondary to kidney failure. Cats on this medication also seemn to live a better quality life. The medication is available from your veterinarian, but he may want to run some blood tests before prescribing this medication.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

2
Posted by: Rodney | 2004/10/14

He's probably a bit miserable because he's (possibly) deaf and blind I guess. Also very old for a cat ... in cat years he's 126! Thats a good innings in anyones language. Perhaps you could take him to a vet since you suspect he's got kidney diesease and also possiby deaf - at least then that can be confirmed and you can take corrective action.

Reply to Rodney
Posted by: Carol | 2004/10/13

Isnt he miserable from old age perhaps .. aching bones etc

Poor old boy .. he has done well tho , i hope someone can help u

Reply to Carol