Question
Posted by: Fora | 2007/06/20

Handling gossip in the office

I am in a predicament of be-friending colleagues and the one's I am with now, I just picked up that the main topics we must have over the phone or lunch time is to discuss people or our managers, I feel this is not good and is just so annoying to discuss negative things, we need to talk abt our own lives and build each other. I am not sure how should I handle these and keep them at bay, when I started working here I took a decision of going on my own to lunch after noticing how they talk abt others, but at times it becomes boring. I would not like to go to hearings by discussing people matters (I mean I am around 32 yrs old and my friends are around 35yrs old's - Adults). My thinking is to cut them completely but when there are social events it will make my life difficult, cause I will not belong to any group of colleagues. This is just confusing as it is.

Can you join them some, but not all of the time ? Can you change the topic of conversation to other things --- TV shows, sports, movie stars, whatever ?

1
Posted by: In the same boat | 2007/06/21

Oh my what a disgusting feeling it is to be trapped in this situation. You know the worse part is wondering what the heck do they say about you, when you're not around. Because of the same situation I have become so negative, all we do now in the office is fight and then become friends again. What's even worse is dealing with a lot of jealous people who do not hide the fact that they would love to be me. I personally took a decision that i would not comment on any of the topics that involve co-workers. It's weird actually cause people skinder abt each other and turn around and be friends again leaving you with egg all over your face. Just keep your yard clean - be friends but choose your conversations carefully... Maybe even change the subject everytime the chitter chatter comes up - Goodluck to you... :-0

Reply to In the same boat