Posted by: Portia | 2009/09/07

Handicapped husband

I am happily in a relationship with a guy who has been a quadruplegic for 16yrs. we are in the process of getting married. My concern is will we be able to have children if not naturally which route do you suggest, invitro? i heard that a male with sci have low sperm rate which make everything impossible? Please help with any advice, do you have a doctor in JHB who you can refer us to?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageHandicap Expert


I suggest that you visit a Fertility clinic, once you are ready to have a child, as you will have to opt for the in vitro process. The baby will be genetically part of mother and father but conception will start outside the body, where the male sperm is introduced into the female egg.

Contact your nearest hospital for details of a fertility clinic in your area.


Dr Anrich Burger

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.