Question
Posted by: ripped off? | 2007/05/05

hand reared or not???

I bought a Green Cheek Conure on Wednesday. I was told the bird was hand reared but was a "nippey". The pet shop owner said i must keep him in a quite place for a few days then take him out and hold it to my chest. With it of patients he should be fine after about 3 days. i was told the bird was hand reared but had been in a cage with other birds for about a month.This bird seems wild i have followed every instruction and got some advice off the net. he doesn't even know how to sit on my finger. and bites at every opportunity. He spends most of his time hanging onto the cage and only sits on the perch when he feeds. i seems as he has never had any human contact. another thing that makes me think i have been ripped off is that i was told he is a male. According to the net these birds are very difficult to sex. Some web site say DNA is the only way to distinguish male and female. Does it sound like I've been ripped off? Should i return him?

It is difficult to know what to do. Some hand rearing ends with a bird totally imprinted on man while some birds are less "tame". Keep at it gently and patiently to win the biords confidence. If you don't want to go that route you may have to return it to the breeder and find a tamer bird.

7
Posted by: WR | 2007/05/08

Also check out
www dot eliteparrotsclub dot com
www dot birdsnways dot com/wisdom/ww24eii.htm
www dot parrotchronicles dot com

Reply to WR
Posted by: Carol | 2007/05/07

parrotchatter.com
parrotalk.net

u can email me if you want to and i will help if i can .... carolm1 at telkomsa net

Joni u are a sweetie thank you

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Joni | 2007/05/07

Sorry not Carol, but did a quick google for you:
parrotforum dot net
pricelessparrots dot com
fluffies dot org
parrot-link dot co dot uk

Hope these help until Carol can send you her list!! By the way she has the most beautiful birds!!

Reply to Joni
Posted by: ripped off?? | 2007/05/07

Thanx for all the input. Ive visited plenty of websites and all the info I got pointed to the fact that the bird I bought is not handreared. He is sitting on my finger, even if it's only for a minute or two, so there is progress. To Carol, are there any forums you would recommend?

Reply to ripped off??
Posted by: Carol | 2007/05/06

Whoa guys .... there is a difference between handfeeding and handrearing .. this is something my breeder taught me .... handfeeding is just that the baby gets fed and left to its own devices ... a handreared baby is a baby that is handfed, played with nd socilised ... it took me all of 2 hours to get my Timneh grey settled ..... he didnt want to sit quietly in his cage and settle down .. he wanted to start investigating his new surroundings and be petted and played with .

This little baby is scared .. he obviously hasnt been handled much so you are going to have to be patient ... do a google search join a forum ask questions and before you know it you will have a happy bird.

Green cheeks like most of the small conures are nippy , but it stops as they get older and learn manners.

Parrot keeping is challenging and you need to do as much research as possible .

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Chill | 2007/05/05

Give the bird a chance!

You SHOULD have left him severely alone for a while - parrots take a while to figure out their surroundings and to settle. There is no doubt that being in a petshop is stressful for a bird, and so is being moved away from where they are born, and then moved into your home where absolutely everything is strange. Now you want him to somehow 'know' that not only is it ok that his whole entire world has changed, but also that you, a complete stranger to him a mere 3 days ago, aren't going to kill him.

Leave him in peace to settle. Once he starts looking around in interest rather than fear, then talk to him from a distance. Once he's grown accustomed to that, go closer.... etc. This whole process may take a day or two with a confident bird, but it could take three weeks with a nervous one. Do not force the pace, let him learn that he can trust you.

It took me two YEARS to get my bird - admittedly not handreared - confident enough to take food from my hand! Now, there is absolutely no stopping him. But to this day - after 14 years! - if I give him a completely new or odd-looking toy for his cage, he always susses it out for a day or more before he plays with it.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Joni | 2007/05/05

Doesn't sound like a hand reared baby to me!! Especially if its been kept with other birds in a cage! Most of the breeders and reputable pet shops will keep and feed their hand reared babies seperately.

How old is the bird?? I remember Dr Russell (bird Vet in Fourways) mentioning they can only be sexed at 6 months or something like that!

Reply to Joni