Posted by: Aero | 2008/08/27

Hamstring injury

I' ve been running/doing triathlons for many years, but last wed I got a horrid pulling(not tearing) sensation in my right hamstring. I' ve been rubbing with Arnica Ice.I can spin/use my indoor trainer (cycling) with no problem, but this morning I tried to run and it happened again to the extent I had to walk home. Uphill/Down hill seems worse.
Any exercises/tips on how to sort this out without Physio?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageFitnessDoc

Hi Aero

It sounds like a mild muscle strain, in which case, yes, a physio will help the healing process along. The key is to rehab the injury so that when you start again you're not much weaker. You could just rest for a couple of weeks and focus on your swimming and cycling until then. But it would be safer to have some sort of assessment, even just a once off thing so that you can begin some kind of strength work to prepare you for the running. But either way, a muscle strain carries with it a couple of weeks off, and so you need to be patient, let it heal and invest in other activities for a while!


The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.