Question
Posted by: DBB | 2007/03/05

Halcion/bipolar

Hi Doc quick question , been to my GP this morning due to not sleeping or lack there of maybe to hours a night if that I just cant seen to sleep any longer . He has prescribed Halcion but when searching the web it says not to take for people with Bipolar /Depression which I suffer from I am on no other meds other that Dormicum which is not helping with the sleeping sorry forgot also gave me Demetrin to relax but said having the mix is bad and I need to be careful.. is it ok to take the Halcion ?

Ask him to refer you to a psychiatrist locally for a second opinion. IF you have Bipolar / Depression, you need an expert assessment and advice on treatment, and proper treatment of the depression may relieve the sleeping problem anyway

1
Posted by: jcat | 2007/03/05

Halcion is a benzodiazepine - a class of drugs that is very prone to addiction. It's generally recommended only for very short-term use, as in less than two weeks. The main reason for not giving it to someone with a mental illness is the possibility of overdose and suicide. Benzodiazepines also interact with a huge number of other drugs, including alcohol, and accidental overdoses are therefore also possible.

It's quite a giant leap from something as mild as Dormicum to Halcion. There are many less harmful drugs that you could be trying first. Perhaps you could ask your doctor for something else instead.

Reply to jcat