Question
Posted by: elli | 2003/03/24

Hairloss??

I would like to know, what kind of vitamins or mineral am I lacking, due to my excessive hair loss and breaking of my nails ??? (I am a 23 year old woman)

Dear Elli
Firstly I would like to suggest that you consult a Dermatologist about these symptoms so that he/she can check that there is no underlying physiological condition that needs to be treated. The most common dietary cause of hair loss is iron deficiency anaemia. Ask the dr to test your serum ferritin levels as this will indicate if you are lacking iron or not. If you do suffer from iron deficiency anaemia, the dr will prescribe iron and folic acid (e.g. FeroFolic) tablets which you will have to take for 3 or more months to replenish your body stores of iron. The following foods are excellent sources of highly available iron: red meat, organ meats such as liver, poultry, fish, egg yolk, dried fruit, esp raisins, cereals fortified with iron and B vitamins. Try having some vitamin C-rich food with your fortified cereal, e.g. orange or grapefruit juice, as vit C improves the uptake of iron from the diet.