Question
Posted by: Hairline Fractures | 2006/11/14

Hairline Fracture

My Mum has been told she has hair line fractures on both her Femur bones, but can you please tell me if this would be the reason that she CANNOT walk, she has been in bed since December last year. She has had every test, X-ray, Muscle,bone test, CT Scans and this was the diagnosis. We live north of your border and there are no Orthorpedic surgeons left here. My Mother is in pain 24/7 she is currently on Fosamax and Arthroease and nothing has changed in fact she is getting worst. Please can you advise on anything else I could try.
Thank you. Worried daughter.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Worried Daughter,

You did not say how long ago the diagnosis of hairline fracture was made. These usually heal very quickly and are not usually debilitating. From the sounds of it, your mother does not have a pathological problem as this would have most likely shown up from the test she has had. She probably has a functional problem and requires some physical therapy and rehabilitation, get her assessed by an Osteopath or Physio.

Best wishes,

Dr. Gary Riley