Question
Posted by: JJ | 2008/06/05

Hair loss in menopause

Dear Dr,
At the age of 31 I went into menopause due to a sterilisation that went wrong. I was put on HRT and I am doing ok. At that time I had thick shiny health hair. It remained so but now at age 35 my hair is falling alot, has become very dry and looks terrible. Ive been to drs who did all kinds of tests includ thyroid function etc but none can find out why my hair is falling. Dr says it probably due to less estrogen but the tests show the level of estrogen is fine with HRT. This has been going on for almost 6 months now. Can you tell me what else can be causing my hair loss. Im not stressed or overweight. I eat healthily. Ive had scan of my abdomen done and full gynae check ups as well. Can you tell me of a supplement that could help?

Dear JJ
Check your iron levels too. Try using Nu-hair supplements as well as Bergamot essence (lennon) 1 bottle in your bottle of your shampoo. Some of my patients swear by using the blue shampoo for dogs and horses you can buy at most of the petshops! (It contains high levels of lanolin which can only do your hair good!)
Minoxidil lotion also stimulates hairgrowth but you need a prescription and it is expensive.