Question
Posted by: Kim | 2010/08/03

Hair Loss and red itchy skin

Please help me.
Ihave a toy pom cross miniature chiwawa and her hair is falling
out and her skin is red and itchy and scabs form on her skin.
I was her bedding once a week and she also has a bath once a week. I use baby shampoo on her. Do you think fleas could be doing this to my doggie? Is there something that someone can recommend?

Hi Kim

As I do not have a proper clinical history I cannot go into any depth regarding the condition of your dog. However I hope that I can enlighten you as to how I may proceed with trying to address the problem before visiting the vet.

I would not wash the skin in a baby shampoo as this will dry the skin and potentially augment the problem. The pH of animal skin is more alkaline than that of the human and the skin barrier is much thinner. Please use a medicate animal shampoo to wash the skin - example Epi-soothe.

Fleas could be the cause of the problem . They are generally quite visual and if absent look out for flea dirt. Use a flea comb to identify if present - remove the black specks if present and rub on wet cotton wool. If they leave a red streak then this is evidence of fleas. If you have evidence of fleas then you need to treat the host and also the external environment. It maybe a good idea to use a different flea product as resistance can develop. Note that the efficacy of the flea product will be reduced by shampooing the dog.

If this fails to address the irritation then you must visit the vet for a diagnosis and treatment.

1
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010/08/04

Hi Kim

Reply to Cybervet