Question
Posted by: me | 2004/12/02

Hair loss

Dear Doc. I am at my wits end. My hair is falling out in handfuls for the last few months and I dont know what is wrong. I have posted a question on your site before and you sent me your article. I have been to my GP, had blood tests, taken iron, multivitamins, etc. Nothing wrong with me or lacking anything. I have changed my contraception pill to Yasmin which is supposed to be good for skin and hair. The only thing I can think of is that I am a highly stressed person. I have also been through a break up recenlty which I did not take well. Please help me before I go bald.

Me, it sounds like telogen effluvium or toxic alopecia. If you can remember from the article, it is temporary hair loss of up to a third of a person’s hair due an insult to the body. It usually manifests 2-4 months after the incident. Divorce/loss of a loved one is a common cause and so are other causes of stress. It should start normalising after 3-6 months and after a year it should be back to normal. Good luck.