Question
Posted by: ROZ | 2004/11/18

HAIR LOSS

HI! I HAVE HAD SHORT HAIR ALL MY LIFE. THEN DECIDED TO GROW IT. HAS BEEN GROWING FOR A YEAR NOW, AND I'M EXPERIENCING A LOT OF HAIR LOSS (ABOUT 30 HAIRS EVERY TIME I WASH MY HAIR AND A LOT DURING THE DAY). ALSO A SORT OF BURNING SENSATION EVERY TIME I SCRATCH OR TOUCH MY HEAD. COULD THIS BE SOME KIND OF INFECTION, OR IS THIS KIND OF HAIRLOSS NORMAL FOR LONG HAIR. THANK YOU

Roz, it might be due to a disease, but I can’t make the diagnosis without being able to examine you first. On average a normal person loses about a 70-100 hairs a day, so 30 isn’t that much. If you’re interested in something I wrote a while ago, you’re welcome to mail me at CyberDoc@mweb.co.za. Good luck.