Question
Posted by: LAM | 2004/09/20

Hair Loss

We have a one year old Corgy crossed with a Jack Russel, he has more Corgy traits.

He constantly loses his hair since we got him as a puppy. It did get worse now when winter drew to a close, but if you touch him his hair comes out. He is not balding, and has enough hair, you don't notice the loss on him only on my carpets, bedding etc.

Should I be concerned and what can I do to stop the hair loss.

Unfortunately this is a normal trait in certain breeds, especially the Jack Russell. The excessive hair loss does not leave any bald patches and the coat does not change. There is nothing to do other than to make sure it has a good quality diet and you can brush it daily with a hair removal brush to remove some of the loose hairs. Beyond that, unfortunately you need to accept it as normal.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

1
Posted by: Chill | 2004/09/21

Corgi's moult like crazy. If he's not itching, and not balding, and has no fleas etc, then it's not a sign of anything wrong.

Get a decent dog-grooming brush, and give him a good going-over every day. He'll love it and it will help to remove loose hairs and speed up the moulting process. But brace yourself - corgi's are just like german shepherds in that respect - LOTS of hairs!

Reply to Chill