Question
Posted by: Baldy | 2004/02/16

hair loss

I'm a 27 year old female who had a baby about 5 months ago. Ever since the birth, my hair has been falling out.

It used to fall out when I was pregnant too, but it wasnt enough to bother me. Now its falling out in lumps.

Is there anything to be worried about?

Help

Baldy, it sounds like you might be suffering from telogen effluvium or toxic alopecia. This is temporary hair loss of up to a third of a person’s hair due an insult to the body. It usually manifests 2-4 months after the incident. Common causes are crash diets, exam stress, big operations, pregnancy and divorce/loss of a loved one. It starts normalising after 3-6 months and after a year it’s almost always back to normal. It is more common in females and needs no treatment. If you’re interested in more info on hair loss, please mail me at CyberDoc@mweb.co.za and I’ll send you a copy of something I wrote on the subject. Good luck.