Question
Posted by: boldy | 2004/01/09

hair loss

I have a problem, ever since I have been 10 years old I have been pulling out my hair(I am 25 now). My hair are thinning, but I can't seem to stop, I don't know why I do it, but some days I managed to pull hundreds of hair out, one by one. This is becoming a problem in my relationship because I always sits with my hands in my hair picking one to pull out, even when I am driving or when we have friends over. I would like to stop because I would love to have a nice head of thick hair, any suggestions?
I am a naturally anxious person, but I wouldn't say that I am depressed. Would pills help?
Do I need to go to the doctor?
My mother reckons it is just a bad habit.

Dea boldy,
Do, please, check the Archives of this Forum, under "hair" ( we don't say much about hair other than in discussing this problem !) and also "trichitillomania", which you can also use as a search term on Google and Yahoo for a good web search. You'r mom's right that it's a bad habit, but not "just" a bad habit --- it can even lead to baldness !
It's best to see a psychologist about this, to work with you to devise a range of methods to stop this bad habit, to "unlearn" it, and to learn better habits in its place. FInd better things to do with your hands while feeling fidgetty ( like worry beads ) ; and discuss treatment of your underlying anxiety, with your psychologist. Een try wearing gloves at the times that you're most likely to do it.

1
Posted by: k00s | 2004/01/09

lol trichotillomania,,,,your spellin is about as bad as ole mr circum,,,,lol

Reply to k00s