Question
Posted by: me | 2005/01/12

Hair

Hi Doc. A while ago you said that I could possibly be suffering from telogen effluvium or toxic alopecia. I have had extreme stress for the past 3 months. Does that mean I will lose my hair for another 3 - 6 months until the stress has worked out my body? If that is the case, I am going to be bald. I am losing between 150 - 200 hair a day! Please help.

Me, the fact that you had extreme stress doesn’t mean that your hair will fall out, it just might do so. It should start normalising after 3-6 months and after a year it’s almost always back to normal. Good luck.
PS. The average person has about 100 000 hairs on his/her head that have an average life span of about 3 years. A single hair will grow for 2-4 years, rest for 2-4 months and then fall out. On average a normal person loses about a 70-100 hairs a day that are replaced by new hairs soon after. So if you lose 200 a day it will take some time before you’re bald. :-)