Question
Posted by: Haemroids Guy | 2007/08/06

Haemroids - I have it... now what? HELP!

I'm a 27 year old male and have haemroids.

1. Can someone tell me whether an op is mandatory or is there medication that can reduce it/ get rid of it?

2. What sort of "specialists" can I go to, to check it out? What are they called? And whats their rates like just to check it out?

3. As well, wat about operating? How long is the op (average) and what is the average time that people get back to work/normal?

I've been suffering with it for at least the past 4 years. It got bad last week where there was literally a thick, big "cyst" between my crack and I could not sit down properly. Its gone down after almost a week but its still a little there (and slightly uncomfortable).

Any HELP/ADVISE is apprecaited. Links are also appreciated for information.

Dear Haemroids Guy
Medication makes it better and smaller but only an operation can remove it if it is a big hemorroid. A hemorroid is actually a "varicose vein" around the anus.
You can visit a surgeon or gastroenterologist - rates will differ from hospital to hospital
It depends on what they do when they operate , they can cut it out, cauterize it, bind it off or laser it - the options you need to discuss with the doctor.
See http://www.colonrectal.net/hemorrhoids.html
http://www.medinfo.co.uk/conditions/haemorrhoids.html