Question
Posted by: Scared | 2003/02/08

Had sex... now scared!!

Do I hope you can help. I live in Taiwan but come from South Africa. I am really worried!! Docters here are hard to talk to because of the Language difference. A week ago I had sex, (first time in a year and second time ever) I used a condom for ALL insertive sex. She touched my penis with her hands. Afterwards I washed my groin and penis very well. I also urinated (just after sex) At the time I was on Levofloxacin (qunolone antibihotic) 400g per day for a possible chest infection. It continued for 6 days (the medicine). Today a week later I noticed redness in my penis no itching....The Taiwanese doctor says eczema (common for men with foreskin). He gave me Bethamethazone. My question is can I get infected with a bacterial STD while on a strong Antibiotic?(syppilys,Gonnucocal,Chlamydia) I saw on the Medicine website that the Anti Biotic is also used to treat uniray tract infections? The second question is what is my chances for an HIV infection? Thank you very much doctor....I am really worried and think I have all the std's !!!

I'm not sure I under stand you. You say that you used a condom for "insertive sex", by this I understand anal, oral and vaginal sex.

So what is it that would have put you at risk for STI's? or did you maybe have unprotected oral sex?
I'm pasteing my fact sheet. "What you should know about Oral Sex"

Oral sex is not considered safer sex:
Like all sexual activity, oral sex carries some risk, particularly when one partner or the other is known to be infected with HIV, when either partner’s HIV status is not known and / or when one or the other partner is not monogamous or injects drugs. Numerous studies have demonstrated that oral sex can result in the transmission of HIV and other sexually transmitted infections (STI’s). Abstaining from oral, anal and vaginal sex all together or having sex only with a mutually monogamous, uninfected partner are the only ways that individuals can be completely protected from the sexual transmission of HIV.

Oral Sex is a common practice:
Oral sex involves giving or receiving oral stimulation (e.g. sucking or licking) to the penis, the vagina and / or the anus. Fellatio is the technical term used to describe oral contact with the penis. Cunnilingus is the technical term which describes oral – vaginal sex. Anilingus (sometimes called “rimming”) refers to oral – anal contact. Studies indicate that oral sex is commonly practised by sexually active male – female and same – gender couples of various ages, including adolescents. Although there are only limited national data about how often adolescents engage in oral sex, some data suggest that many adolescents who engage in oral sex do not consider it to be sex; therefore they may use oral sex as an option to experience sex while still, in their minds, remaining abstinent. Moreover, many consider oral sex to be safe or no risk sexual practise.

Oral sex and the risk of HIV transmission:
The risk of HIV transmission from an infected partner through oral sex is much smaller than the risk of HIV transmission from anal or vaginal sex. Because of this, measuring the exact risk of HIV transmission as a result of oral sex is very difficult. In addition, since most sexually active individuals practice oral sex in addition to other forms of sex, such as vaginal and / or anal sex, when transmission occurs, it is difficult to determine whether or not it occurred as a result of oral sex or other more risky sexual activities. Finally, several co – factors can increase the risk of HIV transmission through oral, including: oral ulcers, bleeding gums, genital sores and the presence of other STD’s.

When scientists describe the risk of transmitting an infectious disease, like HIV, the term, “theoretical risk” is often used. Very simply, “theoretical risk” means that passing an infection from one person to another is possible, even though there may not yet be any actual documented cases. “Theoretical risk” is not the same as likelihood. In other words, stating that HIV infection is “theoretically possible” does not necessarily mean it is likely to happen – only that it might. Documented risk, on the other hand, is used to describe transmission that has actually occurred, been investigated and documented in the scientific literature.

Theoretical and documented risk of HIV transmission during oral - penile contact Theoretical and documented risk of HIV transmission during oral – vaginal contact Theoretical and documented risk of HIV transmission during oral – anal contact
Theoretical:In fellatio, there is a theoretical risk of transmission for the receptive partner (the person who is sucking) because infected pre – ejaculate (“pre – cum”) fluid or semen can get into the mouth. For the insertive partner (the person who is being sucked) there is a theoretical risk of infection because infected blood from a partner’s bleeding gums or an open sore could come into contact with a scratch, cut, or sore on the penis. Theoretical:Cunnilingus carries a theoretical risk of HIV transmission for the insertive partner (the person who is licking or sucking the vaginal area) because infected vaginal fluids and blood can get into the mouth. (This includes, but is not limited to, menstrual blood). Likewise, there is a theoretical risk of HIV transmission during cunnilingus for the receptive partner (the person who is having her vagina licked or sucked) if infected blood come from oral sores or bleeding gums comes in contact with vulvar or vaginal cuts or sores. Theoretical:Anilingus carries a theoretical risk of transmission for the insertive partner (the person who is licking or sucking the anus) if there is exposure to infected blood, either through bloody faecal matter (bodily waste) or cuts / sores in the anal area. Analingus carries a theoretical risk to the receptive partner (the person who is being licked / sucked) if infected blood in saliva comes in contact with anal / rectal lining.
Documented:Although the risk is many times smaller than anal or vaginal sex, HIV has been transmitted to receptive partners through fellatio, even in cases when the insertive partners didn’t ejaculate (“cum”). Documented:The risk of HIV transmission during cunnilingus is extremely low compared to vaginal and anal sex. However, there have been a few cases of HIV transmission most likely resulting from oral – vaginal sex. Documented:There has been one published case of HIV transmission associated with oral – anal sexual contact.

Other STI’s can also be transmitted from oral sex:
Scientists have documented a number of other sexually transmitted infections that have also been transmitted through oral sex. Herpes, syphilis, gonorrhoea, genital warts (HPV), intestinal parasites (amebiasis) and hepatitis A are examples of STI’s, which can be transmitted during oral sex with an infected partner.

Reducing the risk of HIV transmission through oral sex:
The consequences of HIV infection are life – long, life – threatening and extremely serious. You can lower any already low risk of getting HIV from oral sex by using latex condoms each and every time. For cunnilingus or anilingus, plastic food wrap, a condom cut open, or a dental dam can serve as a physical barrier to prevent transmission of HIV and many other STI’s. Because anal and vaginal sex are much riskier and because most individuals who engage in unprotected (e.g. without a condom) oral sex also engage in unprotected anal and / or vaginal sex, the exact proportion of HIV infections attribute to oral alone is unknown but is likely to be very small. This has led some people to believe that oral sex is completely safe. It is not!!!

Also see www.safersex.co.za.

1
Posted by: candy | 2003/02/10

Hey I am aslo in Taiwan first solve your prolem then u can contact me it's nine months and can u believe no sex at all .So hook me up .I hope u a speed recovery.

Reply to candy