Question
Posted by: shy | 2006/11/12

Gyno visit and mirena

I'm a 21 year old female. I had the mirena inserted about 2 months ago (to be exact on the 15th of September) My Gyno said it's not neccesary for me to go for a check up unles something bothers me because the insertion went without trouble. Lately I've experience a sort of piercing pain, it's not unbearable and quickly goes away but I'm just scared it means something. What symptoms will I have if there's an infection or other problem? Should I rather go and see my gyno again? She did a papsmeer and it was normal but my breasts weren't checked and I'm nervous about this as well. I recently found out my aunt had ovarian and breast cancer (I always thought we didn't have it in our family at all) How does this change my risk for getting these diseases?

It would be best to see your gynaecologist to check the Mirena has not shifted position. If your aunt is the only person in your family with the cancers, it probably does not change your risk much, but you should check your breasts every month.