Posted by: Catherine | 2007/04/16



My husband and i have been trying to get pegnant for the last 5 months- i see that many people on this Forum say that going to a Gyne is a waste.( JHB)

whats the difference between a fertility specialist and a fertility clinic ?

Could you please forward me the name and number a fertilty specialist

or the number of a fertility clinic.

much appreciated- thanks

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageFertility expert

Dear Catherine

A fertility specialist in most leading countries is one who has not only gynaecological qualifications, but in addition has studied and specialised specifically in reproductive medicine and is usually certified as a member of a fertility specialist society or fraternity. Such a specialist often works in a fertility clinic or works in conjunction with a fertility clinic.

A fertility clinic is a centre which is capable of performing advanced treatment more especially Invitro fertilisation (test tube babies) and more specialised procedures. However, in South Africa unfortunately any gynaecologist can manage fertility problems in his own private practice or in association with a so-called fertility clinic, may claim to be a fertility specialist even though he does not have bonified credentials or certifications to certify such a claim.

There is as yet no credentialing and accreditation of fertility specialists and clinics in South Africa, which is enforced, and therefore any gynaecologist may claim to be a fertility specialist as well. For ethical reasons I am not at liberty to disclose the names of fertility specialists or a fertility clinic, but you may contact the following number for further information (011) 484 5119.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Shamie | 2007/04/19

The HPCSA (Health Professions Society of South Africa) has recognised an official subspeciality in Reproductive Medicine. You can always ask your FS if he/she is registered. This is the only way to know for sure if your gynae is a FS.

Reply to Shamie
Posted by: anny | 2007/04/19

I am -+ 5 weeks pregnant. Im not comfortable with having another child at this stage . What are the implications involved if i teminate the pregnacy ? Side effect ? Is it better to do it at a Private hospital where there's Gynae ? Is the Marie Stope Safe as i have some doubts about the clinic itself .

Reply to anny
Posted by: CATHERINE | 2007/04/18


Posted by: Thami | 2007/04/17

I got all my info from an SA website called fertilitree!com .......they also had good advice - have contacted Vitalb too - but there is a wait to see a doc. We go c him end June. Good luck!

Reply to Thami
Posted by: phbehavepls | 2007/04/17

I see no emails allowed but you can contact me on ohbehavpls at gmail.

Reply to phbehavepls
Posted by: ohbehavepls | 2007/04/17

A fertility clinic is the home of fertility secialists. We have just successfully via IVF conceived on our first try with the help of Vitalab. Call them on 0861 882522. Try to meet with Dr. Stefan Volschenk. He is know as one of the very best. If you would like to chat more pop me an e-mail.

Reply to ohbehavepls

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.