Question
Posted by: C | 2007/05/28

Gynecologists? What does the law say

I just need some clarification. My wife went to the Gynecologist this morning and told me while he was busy Examining her there was no other medical staff present. Also during the examination he did not use any gloves. Doesnt the Medical law state that their should always be medical staff present during breast cancer or Gynecologist check ups.?

There is nothing in the law to say that a gynaecologist should have a 'chaperone'. However, if you request one, this should be respected. Gloves should be worn for an internal examination but not for a breast or abdominal examination.

3
Posted by: Nix | 2007/05/28

NO Gloves, now that's just gross. reason enough to find a new doc. with regards to staff being present, no, not always, only if it's your GP.

Reply to Nix
Posted by: Dee | 2007/05/28

I agree with the pp. I have never had any other staff present during my gynae check-ups or at my fertility clinic. But he really should have worn gloves, thats a bit strange. He might have just forgotten?

Reply to Dee
Posted by: Ruby | 2007/05/28

I'm not sure what the law says, but every gynae I've ever been to does not have staff present during an examination. I'm sure if your wife asked for someone to be present that would have been done for her, but it's certainly not the norm. Regarding the gloves.. that's very unusual..

Reply to Ruby