Question
Posted by: Lola | 2004/11/04

Gyneacological examination

I am going for my first gyneacological examination this week. I am not yet sexully active, but am planning to. What am I to expect from the examination (except a pap smear, which I know what it is.)? I am 23 years old.

Your doctor will take a history and do an examination. Unless any problems are found, the pap smear may well be deferred till you are sexually active. You can also discuss contraception.

1
Posted by: Purple | 2004/11/04

If you aren't yet sexually active, then the gynae is unlikely to do a pap smear, as you aren't at risk. You should have a pap smear done within a year of becoming sexually active though. If you are having any period problems or anything like that, your gynae might do an internal though, or might just do one anyway to check that all is in order.

Basically, the gynae will just ask you questions about your medical history and examine your breasts, and as mentioned above might do an internal.

You can ask any questions you have, for example, you might want to discuss contraception options, ask about a first sexual experience etc.

No need to be nervous, your gynae understands how you feel.

Well done for being so responsible.

Reply to Purple