Question
Posted by: Anne | 2004/11/09

Gynaedoc please answer: POT. CIT. & MACRODANTIN : IS THIS MEDICATION SAFE TO TAKE?

hi
I am almost 20 weeks preggies and i am on a multivitamin called CHELAPREG. At my visit to the gynae last Friday he told me that he is prescribing POT. CIT (potassium citrate), on the bottle it states that this is a urinary alkaliniser. He also prescribed MACRODANTIN (capsules). Could you please tell me what these medications are used for or for what treatment is it used. I started taking both medications on Monday and I started getting sharp tummy pains at random times throughout the day, even yesterday. I have also noticed that since i started taking this medications my feet have swelled up especially around the ankles (feet look very puffy). I would like to know what effect this medication has on me and my baby as i do not want any harm to come to us. Is this a normal reaction to this medication or should i stop taking it. Please reply as i am anxious to find out if it is safe to carry on taking it. Thank you.

These medicines are usually used to treat a urinary tract infection. They are safe in pregnancy and should not cause the side effects you describe.