Question
Posted by: Carine | 2005/06/28

Gynaedoc, Anyone out there, I'm fed up with my periods!!!

Doc,
I had a MC and d&c more than 3 months ago. Last month I had a brown discharge for a week and blood for two days. My breasts are very tender. This month I've been having a brown discharge now for 5 days already, and still no blood. Breast again very tender. Should I do a HPT? Could I be pregnant and still having this "sort of"period? How can I calculate my cycle as you said your cycle starts with red blood? I'm ttc and really want to fall pregnant soon. I'm so confused. Please HELP!!! All the other docs say is that I shouldn't stress so much ya ya ya. Easier said than done... Thanks

After a D&C, the womb lining is scraped away, so you could have very light periods (your brown discharge) for a few months afterwards. The breast tenderness is probably hormonal. Preganncy is probably unlikely. If the discharge comes at regular intervals,count this as your period and work out your cycle from this.

4
Posted by: Baby Blues | 2005/06/28

I have exactly the same problem? I have searched the net and maybe this will shed some light on our problemo....

If you notice a brownish tinge in your cervical mucus, relax; there is perhaps nothing to worry. Brownish tinge or discharge in cervical mucus is almost always old blood that did not leave the uterus during your last menstrual cycle. Sometimes a brown tinge can also be associated with ovulation. It might be related to a bleeding from a ruptured follicle. Occasionally when you see a brownish tinge in your cervical mucus, it can also be the result of trauma to the cervix. This could mean either an infection or something as simple as sexual intercourse.
Every once in a while, the brown discharge in cervical mucus can also be attributed to implantation, in which case you are pregnant. After ovulation a mature ovum, ready to be fertilized is released in the uterus. If this ovum encounters a good sperm and gets fertilized, it means the woman has conceived. When the fertilized ovum burrows into the uterine lining, some blood is often released and passed as brown discharge. Most women hardly notice it, but those who check mucus patterns are very aware of it.

So a brownish discharge in your cervical mucus could basically mean two things: either is because of ovulation or because of implantation. It is always a good idea to monitor your cervical mucus patterns. These are very useful when something like a brownish tinge appears in your discharges and you would like to track it down. Combined with basal body temperature monitoring, this can also be a great tool in predicting ovulation and planning pregnancies.

I had the brownish discharge for up to 5 days last month and this month only 2 days ? i am not sure what to make of it ? Is it or not a Period.

Baby Blues

Reply to Baby Blues
Posted by: Jessica | 2005/06/28

I had some problems with bleeding after my D&C as well, do a pregnancy test and if it's negative contact your doctor, it might be an infection or like in my case, my endometrium lining went completely haywire and I needed some progestarone supplements before my period returned to normal, I wish I did not wait that long to phone my doc,

I know the feeling of seeing the "bloody" blood the whole time, you just have this constant reminder of what happened.

Jessica

Reply to Jessica
Posted by: Poolnymph | 2005/06/28

I'm with Karin, do the HPT and blood test! IF, it's negative then go for a check up, so that they can see what is going on - you don't want unnecessary/preventable interuptions while TTC'ing.
Please let us know what happens.

God Bless and Lots of Love!

Reply to Poolnymph
Posted by: KARIN | 2005/06/28

sweetpea, why dont you go and have a blood test done, first do a hpt , then go and do blood, rather than stressing, get it over with, my mom bled every month during her preg with me, remember it cld be low progesterone giving you the brown discharge. please do the test and see what it shows. thinking of you . xxx

Reply to KARIN