Question
Posted by: confused | 2008/05/26

gynae visits

I have been checking your archive, and realise that you do not like partners in your examination room. Is this because you are a female doctor, or do your colleagues feel the same way. If both parties are happy to be in the examination why are doctors against this, it shouldnt make a difference. I understand that the doctors are professional, but it still seems to be an issue with a lot of men whos wives go to a male doctor. Why dont the gynae society encourage partners to feel more comfortable about this process. There is a huge move to female gynaes,who are basically all fully booked, I asked a few woman and men why, and it seemed to be encouragement from husbands, most woman just want to go and get it over with, and dont have the childish hangups of men.

I think most gynaecologists feel this way. You will see that I gave a detailed answer as to the reasons for this.
It is absolutely fine for the partners to be there for the history and discussion afterwards, just not for the examination. In the end, the woman is the person who is being examined, not the man, and most women don't feel a need for their husbands to be in with them. The contract is between the doctor and the patient. If men feel threatened, they need to sort this out for themselves.