Question
Posted by: Nervous | 2008/08/12

Gynae Visit necessary?

I' m 23 years old, and have been sexually active for 1 year (only one partner - my fiance). I' ve been on the pill for about 3 years, first on Dianne and now on yasmin (dianne gave me headaches etc so I switched to yasmin). I never menstruated regularly, started at a very old age (about 14 -15years old) but only had my period about once or twice a year, I had Annorexia when I was 16 to 19 years old, and obviously this is a very crucial age for a womans development, I stopped menstruating completely and after I was better I still didn' t menstruate regularly, thus I went on the pill (for regular periods and for help against acne) . The problem is now that the wedding day is coming nearer I' m starting to think about family more and I' m a bit nervous that because of my history that it' ll be difficult for me to fall pregnant once we decide to have children, is it necessary to worry about this? I made an appointment at a Gynae to discuss this, but how would they test if everything is functioning as it should? does it need to be done physically? will I have to have a pap smear or can that wait until I' m older? I am very shy and had a bad experience at a gynae' s when I was 12 (had a syst on my ovaries) so I' m really not looking forward to the visit!

You do need to see a gynecologist. A pap smear is recommended as soon as you are sexually active.
In order to check fertility, you would really need to be off the Pill and blood tests and scans would be needed.