Posted by: gynae | 2010/06/08


My husband does not like that he is not allowed with me at my male gynae, he wants me to go, but feels that he should be present as long as its a male doc,and I notice after a gynae app, it takes him weeks before he even looks at me, like some other man has been with me. He is not a jealous man at all, and I dont understand what the big deal is about a male gynae, obviously I cant take him with me, as that would be awkward, but it affects my sex life every year at the same time, he says its just coincidence, but I know his feelings, and its like this from about 3 weeks before my app, to 3 - 4 weeks after, advise please

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageSexologist

It is possible that he is very uncomfortable with the idea of another male examining you intimately. Most gynaes do allow the husband to sit in on a consultation and they usually provide adequate cover of the genitals so that it is not uncomfortable for you and your husband. its also possible that your husband is not certain exactly what takes place during consultation so maybe if he does come in for one, he will feel reassured. this seems to be a specific problem so I would advice that your'l discuss it openly. As an alternate option you could consider seeing a female gynae or go to a female gp for your internal examinations and pap smears and follow up the results with your gynae.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Jarrod | 2010/06/12

I dont think your husband has a problem, what is the reason he cant go into the consult with you? I wouldnt be able to understand it either! I would suggest you take him with you next time and after that he will probably feel more comfortable and not want to go with.

Reply to Jarrod
Posted by: Anon | 2010/06/09

Your husband has a problem. Your doctor is a professional and that is his job to examine you and determine that everything is okay. He spent more than 7 years learning about the human body and chose this as his speciality. What is your husband going to do if he were present? He would be a hinderince to say the least. My wife has always had a male gynae and as far as I am concerned if he is good at what he does, then I want her to have the best doctor, regardless of his or her sex. Ironically before we moved a few years ago, my primary doctor was a woman and she was very good at what she did after my previous doctor, a male missed it completely even after I stated there was a problem and he examined me. She diagnosed me with a double hernia in the groin area and as a result she became my new primary doctor. So tell your husband to worry about something that needs worrying. I will go to the doctor that can do the best for me, regardless of sex.

Reply to Anon
Posted by: GYNAE | 2010/06/08

Iwould like to know if other men feel this way about a male gynae, have you heard of this before, and is it common

Reply to GYNAE

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.