Question
Posted by: abcd1234 | 2003/12/17

Gym for the first time

After years of being very overwieght I have joined the gym for the first time as of today. I would like to find out which the best beginners machines are for me to use. Please note that this monring, my knee was very painful, please advise.

I'm really pleased to hear of your new committment to fitness. There are many exciting days for you in the future, but I want to urge you to go into this with a realistic outlook, and expect that some days will be quite tough. However, if you persevere, you will achieve success - but, think long term.

now, as for your actual training, I think that the best thing for you to do is to check out the following programmes on the health24 site - the first is the Shape up programme, where you can find programmes for walking, running, cycling and gym training - use this programme to design your cardiovascular training sessions.

For the actual weights sessions, have a look at the 'Zone in On' section of the Fitness page - here you will see a number of different exercises for different body parts, and this is where you can learn a bit about the machines. Practically, the best thing to do is to do the supercircuit at the gym, until you fee confident enough to try the free standing machines and the free weights.

Lastly, don't hesitate to ask one of the trainers for advice on the machines - better safe than sorry.

Good luck with the training

2
Posted by: dbt | 2003/12/17

If your knee is sore it could be that your muscles are unbalanced and due to you performing exersice you will be tightening certain muscles in the leg that pull the patela out of aligment.

As you haven't exersised for such a long time you will most likely have muscle imbalances. It is now sugest to strech prior to training as to realign the muscles alowing them to develop evenly during training. If you dont stretch you will develop the muscles in the body that are already tight. You need to be muscle tested and find which are tight and which are stretched. Then before training stretch the tight muscles and focus your 1 phase of getting back into the gym on tightening the stretch muscles promoting good posture,

The most important tip is that when performing your exercise weather weights or CV you have perfect posture aligment this way when your muscles tighten from the work out they will do so symetrical not pulling the body out of aligment and causing pain.

I hope you have fun getting back into training. But peridize your self slowly back into it allowing the body to adapt.

all the best.

Reply to dbt
Posted by: brozz | 2003/12/17

i would suggest that you get the instructor to do a assessment with you first before you get into any exercise programme.If your knees were sore after the training then it could be because of the exercise you chose to do.Avoid heavy impact activity ie treadmill. If you have been cleared for exercise theni would suggest something like a cross trainer or low impact aerobicsto start out then build up slowly. all you would want to do now is get your heart rate up to concentrate on cv work then progress. Speak to the instructors at the gym to help you.
hope that is of help nfor you

Reply to brozz