Question
Posted by: Charmaine | 2004/01/14

Gym clothes - type of fabric

I prefer to exercise in a tracksuit pants and a t-shirt. I do a lot of running, katabox/taebo and aerobics (very sweaty work!) and wonder about how suitable the fabric is that my clothes are made of, i.e can my skin "breathe". Should I be buying cotton, nylon, polyester, a combination or something else entirely? Please help.

Hi Charmaine

Nylon is not a good option – not very breathable. The T-shirts that you often can buy in sports stores specifically dedicated to sports and exercise training are made of polyester. I know that the Adidas range (ClimaFit) for example is made of a polyester. All the other brands have variations on this, the DriFit material, such as DriFit by Nike. It’s resulted in very expensive, overpriced clothing, but the material is very good. Cotton is also not too bad, as it’s pretty breathable. The most important thing though is comfort – if it’s not breathable, you’ll be mighty uncomfortable, especially if you are training in long pants, and then you’ll know not to wear that type of material again.