Posted by: astound | 2008/07/14

Gym balance

Hi doc. I have started gym and have so far gone for 6 sessions with a personal trainer. The sessions are pretty much focused on wight training. Although, I dotn mind the weight training I feel that cardio is more important. I would like to start to cycle as I want to do the argus cycle tour. My trainer says that cycling is going to reduce my gains from the weight training.

How can I keep a good balance between weight training and cardio training?

Thanks doc.

HI there

I tend to agree with you, and it seems that you and your trainer have different perspectives on what your goals are. The trainer is clearly worried more about weight training because they believe that you are there to build muscle and tone. What you are saying here is that you want to do the Argus, maybe do a little bit of other cardio in between, and probably lose a little weight. You need to clarify your objectives with the trainer, because they are sending you on a journey that is not wrong, but not the one you wish to take!

My advice is that at least 50% of your training should be cardio focused, so three, preferably four days a week. The pre-occupation many trainers have with weights is often excessive and not helpful. But you're the client, so just express that you want more cardio and have Argus in mind, and they must adjust.

Posted by: Astound | 2008/07/18

Thanks Doc! Will Chat to my trainer wrt getting a programme more focused on what I want.

Reply to Astound