Question
Posted by: Zoe | 2004/10/23

gym and diet - no results!

I have been going to gym for the past 3 months and doing a diet (my own) basically cutting out all carbohydrates and fats (like pasta, all breads, HIGH GI foods, sweets and chocolates, fried or fatty foods)
A typical day could consist of the following:
Breafast: small cup of hi fibre bran or Toasted muesli (kellogs) with low fat / fat free milk
Lunch: a bowl of plain, fat free / low fat yoghurt and a 1/4 of a can of fruit salad (Weighless one)
Supper: I & J hake fish (1 piece - low calorie ones) with veggies (broccoli / green beans / fozen sweetcorn / green salad with no salad dressing)
I drink lots of water everyday, rooibos tea mostly, coke-lite and LOW GI fruit juices - on some days.
I don't snack between meals!
I weigh 60kg and my height is 1.75, my BMI is 20 but my target weight is 57kg! And i am STRUGGLEING my arse off to lose those last 3kg's.
I go to gym 4 times per week - i cycle (on level 2) for about 20 - 30 minutes, then do elliptical (orbitrek) (also level 2) for another 20 - 30 minutes. On tuesday i do extra weight training as well - for about 15mins with 1.5kg weights. On wednesdays i do an hour of "workout class" along with my normal cardio before that and on thursdays i do yoga for an hour - again, with my cardio trainging before hand.
I can see a muscle appearing just above my knees. i don't want to build muscle, i want to lose weight, THEN tone! i don't want big, bulky muscles (that's why i cycle on a level 2)
My arms and calves have gotten thinner and they are looking like sticks but my butt and hips haven't toned or lost any inches.
I am getting very dispondent now becos i am really trying hard and all i've lost in these 3 months is about 1.5 kg's.
I really am trying hard and i am seeing no results! Even my hubby says that he feels sorry for me becos i don't eat any junks foods and i gym for like 2 hours a day and my big butt is still visible!
Please advise me as what to do! Money is kinda a limiting factor for me... so i can't hire a physical trainer or go on fancy diets that cost a fortune to maintain.
Ps. i had a look at the slimming diet you prescibe to people and i tried it for a day or 2 but i fell too bad eating the bread and potatoes becos it's HIGH GI - it feels like i'm "cheating!"
Could my medication; Cilift (SSRI drug for anxiety) or Marvelon (contraceptive) be preventing my weight loss?
Thank you for your time and assistance!

Best,
Zoe

Dear Zoe
Why on earth are you trying to lose more weight? Your BMI of 19,6 is already below the ideal BMI of 22. If you force yourself to lose another 3 kg, you will be bordering on anorexia and have no reserves left. I think you are already tending towards anorexia - you have an unrealistic idea of how much you weigh, you eat a minimalistic, deficient diet, you seem to be exercising to excess and you have a tendency to want to self-destruct. I think you need to stop trying to lose weight and start living. Please consult a clinical psychologist to find out why you are trying to self-destruct and how to cope with your anxiety. Clinical psychologists are listed in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists' or you can ask your gp to refer you.
Take care

1
Posted by: Fatty | 2004/10/23

i'v been going to the gym for 8 months but instead of loosing weight i gain more.Last 4 months i used the weight loss pills and i exersise every morning and i felt like i lost some kilos but my everyone told me that i'm gaining weight than before.

Reply to Fatty