Question
Posted by: Wondering | 2007/02/20

Gym

I would like to know how much weight can a person pick up if they start to gym. And for how long is it surpose to last. Lets say I gym 3 to 4 times a week 30-45min to get fit and on a low calorie diet? I went to the gym before and Im one of those people how pick up alot of weight and everybody lose except for me I get so mad I stop going to the gym. Please tell me what im doing wrong cause I want to start again but im scared i quite again.

HI Wondering

It all depends on the person. Everyone is different and some people gain 1 kg, others maybe 3, while some will just lose weight, not gain at all. So there is no answer. But it's quite common to gain weight when you start, and it also depends on the person as to how long it takes before that stops happening and you start losing weight.

But you need to give it at least 3 or 4 months before you start making judgements. My advice is always that people should forget about the scale, it doesn't matter, and it just causes problems if you are stuck on the number. Rather focus on getting fitter - can you run 10 minutes now? If you can't, then make that goal. Then go up to 20 minutes, 30 minutes and so on. Eventually, you'll get to 45 minutes, and then you know you will start seeing progress. But make the goal fitness, not weight loss and you'll be able to stick with it longer.

Ross