Question
Posted by: Kermie | 2007/06/06

gurgling chest

Hi there on sunday night I came home with a sore throat , that then subsided and I went to bed. at midnight I woke up finding it difficult to breath as well as had an irritating cough. I noticed that when I inhaled my chest would make a gurgling sound. It felt as though something really heavy was sitting on my chest! Eventually not knowing what exactly to do for the best I opened a Karvol capsule and squuezed it out on a tissue next to me. I finally got to sleep and it didn't seem that bad in the day but the next night while I was sleeping my husband said my chest was making that noise again! What can it be and what should I do? Do I need to see a doc?

Dear Kermie
the gurgling noise is made by phlegm in the airways. You can use a coughsyrup like Bronkese co or Bisolvon to loosen the phlegm. If you are feverish, cough up yellow, green or bloody sputum, you need to see your doctor.