Question
Posted by: x | 2005/07/07

Guideline on weight gain during pregnancy

Hi There

Is there any guideline on weight gain during pregnancy?

I am concerned because I already gained 1 kg and I am only 15 weeks, as far as I know the baby only weighs 80grams now!

I may be a bit paranoid but in the past I really struggled with my weight, so I do not want to sit with 10 kilo's to loose after the pregnancy!

From when is one supposed to be start gaining?

Sash is right. The weight gain in pregnancy is not only due to the fetus, but also the placenta, amniotic fluid, increase in uterine size, increased blood volume. 1kg is fine for 15 weeks.

5
Posted by: Henra | 2005/07/07

Yip, this was also one of my biggest worries and must say unlike you lucky ones, I gained steadily and "healthily" all along. You are doing very well with 1kg into your 15th week. I was heavier. I still walk HUGE circles around the scale, but I understand that for women of normal weight, an estimated weight gain of between 11 - 16kg is seen as normal. Obviously your length and bone structure etc. also needs to come into play. I still have about 5 weeks to go and I am there...just about. Ok.....don't want to talk about it anymore......

Reply to Henra
Posted by: S'ya | 2005/07/07

The doctor told me the average weight gained during pregnancy is 8 - 12kgs. I'm 23 weeks & I've gained my 11kgs already (which I picked up in two weeks by the way) & now I was told to watch what I eat as this would lead to normal delivery. I have 17 weeks to go & 1 kg throught it all.

Reply to S'ya
Posted by: Kelly | 2005/07/07

I was also extremely worried about my weight gain until this morning. I lost 5kg's in my first trimester and only gaines 2kg's in my second. Then I decided to phone my gynae and he told me that because I am overweight, I might not gain alot of weight. I was so worried that my babies weren't getting enough from me until he assured me that the babies are getting more than I think.

Kelly

Reply to Kelly
Posted by: Shmegal | 2005/07/07

Dear x

Please try not to fret about the weight gain during your pregnancy. You can always lose this after baby is born. Remember that if your breast feed you tend to lose the kilo's you put on during your pregnancy and besides just think how you will be running around after little one. The kilo's will fall off.
I'm almost 22 weeks and have gained 3.8 kilo's. I eat what I want and when I want (although generally healthy) and my baby is just perfect. Just remember - with regards to food - rubbish in is rubbish out - otherwise enjoy your pregnancy and look forward to losing those few extra kilo's after baby is born.

Reply to Shmegal
Posted by: Sash | 2005/07/07

1 kg is not bad for 15wks. As far as I know, the guideline is 2 kg's first trimester, 5 kg in the second trimester and 6kg's in the last trimester. But remember that each women is different and it depends a lot on if you were underweight or overweight before you fell pregnant. If underweight you will gain more, if overweight you would gain less.
Dont stress too much about the weight gain as long as you are eating healthily, and as you are weight conscious you will be sure to lose it after the baby. Enjoy this time.

Sash

Reply to Sash