Question
Posted by: kitkat | 2007/11/26

GSD - possible seizure?

my 5 yr old GSD has had 2 spells which seems to me like a seizure of some kind. the first was 4 months ago, the 2nd today.

it starts with him acting out of sorts (disobeying a general house rule to hide under a kitchen table), when called out he won't leave unless accompanied. he then staggers out as if he is drunk. he then starts shaking, his back legs seem to give way , and he tries to hide again. he drools quite a bit (not frothy), starts to walk around with his back curved in. after about 5 -10min (seems a lot longer than it probably is), he drinks some water and is completely back to normal.

any idea what could be wrong? can it be epilepsy of some sort? how can one test?

He could be having seizures. Is it more likely to happen soon after meals?

1
Posted by: Chill | 2007/11/26

Take the dog to your vet. He could be having a minor fit, or it could be something else - maybe cramps of some sort.

You need to make sure he's not in pain, and rule out some obvious things.

Also, make sure he's dewormed, if this hasn't been done recently.

Reply to Chill